Below you will find an extremely medicinal reishi soup recipe which supports the qi (energetic), blood (substance/nourishing), jing (essence/source), and yin (thicker nutritive and moistening substances) components of the body. It is best used while trying to build strength. It is not to be used while coming down with a cold, or when one has a cold.
Wu Ji, also known as black chicken is a traditional food and medicine which is used to increase vitality and immunity. It is known to:
- Improve circulation of qi and blood.
- Nourish yin.
- Strengthen the connective and skeletal tissues.
- Notably benefit the jing essence due to its black color (the color which nourishes the kidney).
It tastes just like regular chicken but is higher in nutrients. If you can’t find decent quality black chicken near you, you can use a regular chicken but it will not nourish the essence or blood as much as the black chicken. Nevertheless, look for the best possible quality and you will still be receiving lots of medical qualities through the other ingredients and herbs in this soup.
- 1 local organic chicken, ideally black chicken, (can be cooked whole or cut into 4-8 pieces)
- 15 grams raw organic Bai Shao (Paeoniae Radix)
- 2 tablespoons organic Gou Qi Zi (Lycium barbarum/wolfberries, also known as Goji Berries)
- 15 grams raw organic Dang Shen (Codonopsis Radix)
- 6 teaspoons Hyperion Reishi Extract (Added at end)
- 1 parsnip, cut into small pieces
- 1 turnip, cut into tiny pieces
- 2 teaspoons high quality sea salt.
- 4-8 cups of filtered or spring water
- 2 Cups Organic Tamari (Optional)
- ½ bunch of Organic Scallions (Optional)
Makes six servings
- Rinse and dry the chicken and giblets with a paper towel with light pressure. The chicken can be whole, or sliced into four- six pieces using a heavy knife such as a traditional chef cleaver to fully severe the bone, exposing the marrow.
- Wash and cut the turnip and parsnip.
- Place chicken, herbs (except the Reishi Extract which will be added at the end), giblets, vegetables (except the scallions) and sea salt in large stockpot with enough fresh cold water to cover the chicken (generally between 4-8 cups); too much water will weaken the medicinal qualities of the soup.
- Gradually bring to boil using medium heat.
- Lower heat to medium-low and gently simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- While soup cooks, skim impurities that rise to the surface. If indicated, add a little more water so that the chicken is covered while simmering.
- If using scallions slice them. (If you prefer a more neutral tasting soup don’t use them or the tamari at all.)
- Mix Hyperion Reishi Extract, organic tamari (optional), and chopped scallions (optional) into broth.
- When chicken has become tender, transfer it to a cutting board. When it has cooled enough to touch, divide the meat into smaller serving pieces, and transfer back to the stockpot.
- Remove from heat and pour into serving bowls.
You can strain the herbs out or leave them for aesthetic value. The Gou Qi Zi can be eaten but the other herbs, although non-toxic if consumed, are better left on the side.
Medicinal Qualities of Herbs Used
Bai Shao is a traditional blood tonic which protects the yin of the body and nourishes liver blood.
Gou Qi Zi builds blood but also nourishes the eyes and strengthens the kidney yin and essence.
Dang Shen is an excellent soup herb for building qi and is a commonly used qi tonic in medicinal preparations from soups to herbal formulas. It is highly beneficial to the immune system.
Hyperion Reishi Extract nourishes the jing, qi, and shen while providing advanced immune system upgrades and strengthening the heart, lungs, and liver.
Parsnips and Turnips are root vegetables which support digestive health and grounding. They are full of minerals and vitamins. In addition, they have the property of improving the respiratory functions of the lungs due to their acrid nature.
This tasty recipe is excellent for building immunity and increasing vitality!
To learn more about the benefits of reishi mushroom or to purchase the Hyperion Reishi Extract used in this soup, click here.
Use the code “reishisoup” to save 15% on your next order
(valid Wednesday 7/19 through Sunday 7/23 at 11:59 PM)
Just add all items to your cart, put this code in the coupon code box, hit apply, and you’re set!
The coupon code is valid from Wednesday 7/19/17 – Sunday 7/23/17
Here’s that code again: “reishisoup”
I hope you benefit from this deeply medicinal and delicious recipe!